Summer Scholars Program
SUMMER SCHOLARS SUPPORT FOR CALIFORNIA HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
Qualified students attending high schools in California are eligible for Summer Scholars Support. A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available to support enrollment in a single academic course up to 5 units or one of the following Precollege Summer Institutes:
- Applications of Nanoscience
- Acting and Performance Summer Institute
- Art Summer Institute
- Dance/Performing Arts Summer Institute
- Design Media Arts (DMA) Summer Institute
- Game Lab Summer Institute
- Mock Trial Summer Institute
- Model United Nations Summer Institute
- Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute
- Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute
- Sci|Art NanoLab Summer Institute
- Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute
- Writing Workshop Summer Institute
IMPORTANT NOTES ON ELIGIBILITY AND ENROLLMENT
In order to apply for Summer Scholars Support, you need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be registered and attending a high school in the state of California;
- You have not received any Summer Scholars Support in the past;
- You will be a continuing high school student in Fall 2016 (seniors graduating in 2016 are not eligible); and
- You must be enrolled in an academic course or an eligible Precollege Summer Institute offered through UCLA Summer Sessions.
If you do not meet all of the criteria listed above, please do not proceed with the application.
Applying for Summer Scholars Support does not constitute an enrollment in 2016 UCLA Summer Sessions. For information on how to enroll, select either academic courses or the Precollege Summer Institute that you are interested in. If your Summer Institute program requires instructor consent for admission (Applications of Nanoscience, Acting and Performance Summer Institute, Art Summer Institute, Dance/Performing Arts Summer Institute, Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute, Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute, Sci|Art NanoLab Summer Institute, and Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute), you must be approved first to enroll in the program. You will be notified via email of your admission status. Once approved, you can enroll in the program by paying the required deposit.
HOW TO APPLY FOR SCHOLAR SUPPORT
Once enrolled in one of our academic courses or an eligible Summer Institute program, you will need to complete the Summer Scholars Support Online Application Form, which will be available March 1 through 4PM on April 1.
Application is not complete until all supporting materials are received. Your complete application including supporting materials is due by 4PM on April 1. Below is a list of supporting materials required for application:
- An official copy of your most recent High School Transcript;
- A recent copy of your parent/s or guardian/s W2s and 2015 Federal Income Tax Form (1040); and
- Recommendation Form from a teacher or school counselor commenting on your ability to successfully complete a rigorous academic or creative program. Please allow your recommender at least two weeks to complete a letter of support. Students enrolled in Acting and Performance, Art, Dance/Performing Arts, and Design Media Arts may ask a private instructor to write the letter.
Please note that supporting materials must arrive in the Office of UCLA Summer Sessions no later than April 1. This deadline will not be extended.
Summer Scholars Support will be awarded based on academic ability (and artistic ability, if applicable), as well as financial need. Financial need is determined by Low Income Limits as defined by the State of California. Priority will be given to those who have not had any comparable experience.
Awards may cover all or a portion of summer fees for a single academic course up to 5 units or for a single Summer Institute. Awards may not cover travel costs, textbooks, or other course materials. This year $50,000 is available to support selected high school students. About 20-30 partial or full scholarships will be awarded. The final award amount will reflect the summer fees of the eligible Summer Institute or the academic course the applicant is enrolled in.
- April 1: Complete application consisting of the online application form and supporting materials is due by 4PM.
- April 22: Award announcements are emailed.
- April 25: Those students who have been awarded must confirm acceptance by replying to the award announcement email.
Please refer to the Summer Scholars Support page on our website for more detailed information on eligibility and application process such as the mailing address.
AWARD CANCELLATION POLICY
Summer Institutes: Students who are awarded a scholarship to attend a Summer Institute but are unable to attend, must notify the Summer Sessions Office in writing (by e-mail, fax, or via regular mail). If the student notifies the Summer Sessions Office by noon of the business day prior to commencement of the program, the student will not be responsible for paying the program fees. If the student begins the program but subsequently leaves for any reason other than a personal emergency before its completion, the student will receive a failing grade for the course (reflected as a permanent notation on their academic transcript), and be required to repay the awarded scholarship and any other associated costs to UCLA.
Academic Courses: Students who are awarded a scholarship to enroll in an academic course but are unable to attend, must notify the Summer Sessions Office in writing (by e-mail, fax, or via regular mail). If the student notifies the Summer Sessions Office by noon of the business day prior to commencement of the class, the student will not be responsible for paying the course fees. If a student begins the class but subsequently leaves for any reason other than a personal emergency before its completion, the student will be responsible for any fees that are not refundable according to the UCLA Summer Sessions academic course refund schedule (see REFUNDS). Please note that courses may not be dropped or removed from your record if you make any attempt to take the final examination.
HAVING REVIEWED THIS INFORMATION, DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE WITH APPLICATION?