Summer Scholars Program
SUMMER SCHOLARS SUPPORT FOR CALIFORNIA HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
In order to apply for Summer Scholars Support, you need to meet the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- You are registered and attending a high school in the state of California;
- You have not received any UCLA Summer Scholars Support in the past;
- You will be a continuing high school student in Fall 2020 (seniors graduating in 2020 are not eligible);
- You have a family annual adjusted gross income of $100,000 or less; and
- You are enrolled in an academic course, the Summer College Immersion Program, or an eligible Precollege Summer Institute offered through UCLA Summer Sessions.
If you do not meet all of the criteria listed above, please do not proceed with the application.
HOW TO APPLY FOR SCHOLAR SUPPORT
- Register for an academic course, Precollege Summer Institute, or the Summer College Immersion Program (SCIP). Payment of the non-refundable deposit is required (with the exception of those applying for Deferred Deposit).
- Prepare all required supplemental documents BEFORE starting the application form.
- An unofficial copy of your most recent high school transcript;
- A copy of your parent(s) or guardian(s) 2019 W2(s) (if they are eligible for the W2 form). Please blackout all social security numbers;
- A copy of page 1-2 of your parent(s) or guardian(s) 2019 Federal Income Tax Form (1040). If self-employed, also include "Profit or Loss from Business" page. Please blackout all social security numbers;
- A student resume; and
- Your personal statement (see below)
Applicants will select 3 out of the 6 questions below and answer each question in 250 â 300 words.
- Describe a pivotal experience in your education and how it has shaped the person you are today and/or your goals for the future.
- Describe a significant challenge you have faced. How has it affected you and what steps have you taken to overcome it?
- What class or extracurricular activity has had the biggest impact on you, and why?
- Why are you interested in the program and/or course you have registered for, and what do you hope to get out of it?
- Describe a community you are a part of. Why it is important to you, and what role have you had in that community?
- What issue are you passionate about, and why? How have you acted on that passion?
Personal statements should be saved in one singular word or pdf document.
Applications for Summer Scholars Support will be reviewed and judged based on academic merit as well as financial need. Priority will be given to those who have not had any comparable experience.
Those awarded a scholarship will receive an award up to but not exceeding the total amount for a single academic course (up to 5 units), a single Summer Institute, or enrollment in the Summer College Immersion Program (SCIP). Awards are not intended to cover travel costs and may not cover textbooks or other course materials.
- April 1: Deadline to submit the Summer Scholars Support Online Form.
- April 27: Award announcements are sent via email to students.
- May 1: If awarded, students must confirm acceptance of a scholarship by replying to the award email.
HAVING REVIEWED THIS INFORMATION, DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE WITH APPLICATION?